Thursday, December 17, 2009

Patrick's 2009 List

Hello Paulies,

Another year, another top ten. It was a big year for me personally as I got married this summer. Musically, it was a solid way to end the decade. I didn't listen to as much music as I wanted (Built to Spill or Clipse to name a few) or see as many shows as I would like (I'm getting old), but I managed to follow enough. I'll keep my 2009 list pretty short in anticipation for a longer decade best of.

1. Animal Collective - Merriweather Post Pavilion

This came out last January and was immediately my top for best album. It was the standard I used to compare everything else that came out. A year later it still holds up. My Girls is my favorite track on the album, but there's lot buried in there. The cover art is pretty cool too.

2. Dirty Projectors - Bitte Orca

A close second. This is by far the best Dirty Projectors album yet. It's great, because it's a complete album. There's a variety of songs, sounds, and vocals, but they all blend together so well.

3. The XX – XX

I'm not sure how this album will hold up for me over time, but for now I'm really, really liking it.

4. The Pains of Being Pure At Heart – The Pains of Being Pure At Heart

This was on heavy rotation all spring. Seeing them live this summer was a bonus.

5. Visqueen – Message to Garcia

A Seattle band, in case you haven't heard of them. It's NPR rock. A music highlight this year was seeing them play on campus (I work at Seattle University) to a crowd of college students and toddlers.

6. Grizzly Bear - Veckatimest

Putting this list together reminded me to listen to this album more.

7. St. Vincent - Actor

I know they were on people's list last year, but I didn't really get into them until I saw them at Sasquatch this year. I think their former album is better, but this one is still good.

8. Dark Was the Night – Various Artists

This is a great road trip album to keep in your car. A veritable who's who of indi rock. Plus David Byrne and Dirty Projectors!

9. Yeah Yeah Yeahs – It’s Blitz

Heads Will Roll is a great song. Karen O is a great front woman.

10. Avett Brothers – I And Love And You

Why not? Their title track is somewhat of a guilty pleasure for me (damn you, sentiment) that I never tire of.

That's it for now. I'm still playing around with my best of the decade list. I look forward to reading others.

1 comment:

Patrick said...

My top three were pitchfork's top three. Is this embarrassing?