Saturday, January 2, 2010

Bartley's lists

I'll not pretend like I listened to 10 new albums this year. Middle Cyclone won. The Blueprint 3 was good, and Jay-Z is well worth seeing live. Embryonic was, uhh, kinda grating? Haven't listened to it all that much yet. Tori Amos put out a holiday album that was pretty damn awful, but Abnormally Attracted to Sin wasn't bad. Feed the Animals scratched an itch, but I'm concerned it may cause a rash.

For the decade. Huh. I stopped at 15 because I didn't read the rules initially and now don't want to go back and consider more album. It doesn't really matter anyway since the list would likely be different if I did it again next week. Comments will be brief or non-existent.

15. Gnarls Barkley - St. Elsewhere: yep.
14. Lil Wayne - Da Drought 3: Actually, Tha Carter 3 was here until I remembered I like his mixtapes better than the albums. You know why? NO FUCKING SKITS. ARGH.
13. Rasputina - Oh Perilous World: Do not miss seeing Rasputina live with a hateful friend. It's like shooting poorly-dressed, socially retarded fish in a barrel. Don't get the wrong impression, the band is actually excellent live; but they're far outstripped by the people watching.
12. M.I.A. - Kala: Just remember a time before The Pineapple Express.
11. Neko Case - Fox Confessor Brings the Flood: Everything's so easy for Pauline.
10. Radiohead - Kid A: This may be on here just because "Everything in Its Right Place" still gives me chills.
9. Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - No More Shall We Part: I miss Blixa. They're not nearly as good since he left the band.
8. TV on the Radio - Dear Science: This is more of a decade-long achiement. Dear Science is just the least uneven of their albums.
7. Outkast - Stankonia: Despite being plagued by FUCKING SKIT TRACKS. ARGH. this album is chock full o' hits. Play B.O.B. in your car and try not to look like you have some sort of movement disorder and a stutter. It can't be done.
6. Portishead - Third: I'm still surprised this album didn't suck. I hope they make more?
5. PJ Harvey - Uh Huh Her: Why won't PJ Harvey play within 1500 miles of where I live?
4. Jay-Z - The Blueprint: Yep.
3. Amanda Palmer - Who Killed Amanda Palmer: No, really, it's an awesome album. Why does no one believe me?
2. Arcade Fire - Funeral: Yep.
1. Neko Case - Middle Cyclone
: Always a terrible Idea to put an album from the current year at the top of your best of the decade list. Oh well.

Did the formatting work this year? Let's hope so.

1 comment:

Alex Headrick said...

Nice. I like your rash analysis of Feed the Animals. I've never listened to an album so much and felt so guilty about it.

I remember Rasputina from a track on some "Edgy Music of '99" compilation and liking them. I'll need to see what they've been up to since, and probably see them live now.

And spot on about B.O.B. in the car. I spaz out to that every time, without fail.