Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Posted! [by John Broderick]

So. I've only taken the time to skim through all the great posts. Like most of my post-holiday catch-up work, I'm saving it for MLK weekend. I do have a few things to add, or contribute. I apologize if any of this has already been said. If so, just think of me as a complimentary echo.

There were tons of good singles that I had the opportunity to hear through Emerson College's outstanding radio station, WERS. I'd highly recommend streaming it on the web, except on weekends unless you're an a capella/showtunes type.

Albums I listened to this year:

The Avett Brothers, "I and Love..." Patrick had some nice words to say about this album early in the listings and I think that it deserves more mention. I lived in West Virginia for much of 2006-2007 and these guys toured the bluegrass circuit, playing in small clubs in "enlightened" towns throughout the state. I saw them twice, at the Purple Fiddle in Davis and at the Marlinton Opera House - a venue I highly recommend checking out, esp. if you've ever wanted to jump into a time machine. They were fun and ok; this album is really good. Heartfelt, as much pop as bluegrass, and really just pretty damn good. "My heart like a snare drum" is one of the more fun songs I've heard this year - apologies to Lady Gaga and all who flew over my radar - and damn, just give it a listen.

Blitzen Trapper. I think that Furr came out last year, but this is the newish album that I listened to most. Really good, and really fun band live.

The Dave Rawlins Machine: Actually, I havent heard this album, but I spoke with Itty about this band a bit last week. Dave Rawlins is Gillian Welch's musical (and life?) partner, and they play together in this band, and Mr. Rawlins also happens to produce many of the best young alt-country/bluegrass acts around. I saw them in concert with a lineup that would do credit to the old "grand old opry" shows, with bands like old crow and the felice brothers and this crazy skinny young old timer coming on and off the stage to joyfully jam or pluck out songs. I knew that Old Crow would be excellent, and I knew that Gillian would be Gillian, but Dave Rawlins stole the show. Really something else. People say that there are videos of the bands BBC performance online. Check them out. I particularly liked the song "sweet tooth." jesus they were good.

Dylan's Christmas Album: Maybe someone mentioned this, but the emcee of this whole show gave me this as a jokey housewarming gift this fall. It got terrible reviews, and I'm an admitted Dylanophile(word?), but I really liked it. Worth a listen if only to hear Dylan singing in Latin, anyhow. I'm an inveterate singer in kitchens and showers and any old place, and I found myself crooning snatches of "here comes santa claus" until at least January 7th. Usually I don't even really like Christmas songs.

Documentary, "It might get loud." This was interesting. I can't help but think that it could have been better done, but the premise is jimmy page, jack white, and the edge are gathered together to talk about electric guitars. white was interesting, page was charming and endearing, reminding me a bit of my uncle tom (celeste and paul, you know where this is at), while thanks to new television technology i was able to fast-forward through every section that I heard the edge beginning to speak. I feel like most people on this list would like this movie. Inveterate that I am (see above), I found myself singing "ramble on's" section about golem and the evil one in the shower this morning. i don't really know what that's worth to ya.

comment on jay-z. i haven't read all of paul's piece, but i'd like to add, and end with one of my favorite jay-z lines that has a bit to do with his historical reflecting:

...like the late bob marley, (pause)
pardon me, y'all, the great bob marley.

only jay can sing something so throwaway and make it gold.

happy january, all.

1 comment:

Paul G. Jackson said...

No one will ever confused me for a Dylan apologist -- but that Christmas album is unironically great. I wish more people had given it a chance.