Sunday, January 31, 2010

My Decade (Abridged)

1. I think it's fascinating that we still talk in terms of albums... such '90s kids, all of us. Whether it's in exercises like this or just in my general thought process, I've spent the decade trying to figure out how iPods, file-sharing and MySpace impacted music and my love for it. Music is as good (or has the capacity to be) as it's ever been before, but I hate the way we get it. The delivery mechanism for receiving music has forever changed and the value of an "album" is entirely different than its was 15 years ago. There's no going back... and, really, I feel badly for the 13-year old who will never know the genuine pleasure of buying an album.

2. As I mentioned and Mark (Cummins) better articulated, my age has impacted me. I think I understand, better than ever before, why my parents (or anyone their age) could never have loved Radiohead as much as me. So much of the magic of pop music is wrapped up in youth and its emotions.

3. As I mentioned and Mark (Cichra) better articulated, Kings of Leon?? Really? That's where we landed???

25. The Earth is Not a Cold Dead Place/Explosions in the Sky
24. The Meadowlands/The Wrens
23. Logos/Atlas Sound
22. White Blood Cells/The White Stripes
21. Late Registration/Kanye West

20. Sound of Silver/LCD Soundsystem
19. In Rainbows/Radiohead
18. You Forgot it in People/Broken Social Scene
17. The Moon & Antarctica/Modest Mouse
16. Up The Bracket/The Libertines

15. Thunder, Lightning, Strike/The Go! Team
14. Amnesiac/Radiohead
13. Grab That Gun/The Organ
12. Agaetis Byrjun/Sigur Ros
11. Funeral/The Arcade Fire

10. Stephen Malkmus/Stephen Malkmus
9. Microcastle/Deerhunter
8. Is This It? (UK Version)/The Strokes
7. The Black Album/Jay-Z
6. Apologies to the Queen Mary/Wolf Parade

5. Turn on the Bright Lights/Interpol
4. Takk/Sigur Ros
3. Silent Alarm/Bloc Party
2. The Grey Album/Danger Mouse + Jay-Z
1. Kid A/Radiohead

13 Songs I loved from the Albums Above...
Motion Picture Soundtrack/Kid A
Neighborhood #1/Funeral
Your Hand in Mind/The Earth is Not a Cold Dead Place
All My Friends/Sound of Silver
Someone Great/Sound of Silver
Hoppipolla/Takk
My 1st Song/The Black Album + The Grey Album
Public Service Announcement/The Black Album + The Grey Album
Walkabout/Logos
Church on White/Stephen Malkmus
House of Cards/In Rainbows
Pioneers/Silent Alarm
Time for Heroes/Up the Bracket

13 Songs I loved from other sources...
The Present/Bloc Party
Roc Boys/Jay-Z
Winters Love/Animal Collective
Paparazzi/Lady Gaga
Hate to Say I Told You So/The Hives
Oil in the Fields/Paul Duncan
C'mon, C'mon/The Von Bondies
What You Know/T.I.
Make It Rain (Remix)/Fat Joe featuring R Kelly & Lil' Wayne
Stadiums and Shrines II/Sunset Rubdown
Staring at the Sun/TV on the Radio
Single Ladies (Put a Ring On It)/Beyonce
Romeo/Basement Jaxx

Re-release of the Decade...
Slanted and Enchanted: Luxe and Reduxe/Pavement

Hip-hopera of the Decade...
Trapped in the Closet (Chapters 1-22)/R Kelly

Best Year of Music...
2001

Year I was Most Interested in Music...
2004

Best Year of Pop Music...
2008 (I am... Sasha Fierce/Beyonce, The Fame/Lady Gaga)

10 Films I loved this Decade...
Requiem for a Dream
The Barbarian Invasions
The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
I Heart Huckabees
The Bourne Supremacy
The Bourne Ultimatum
Inglourious Basterds
Mulholland Drive
Knocked Up

Book of the Decade...
Everything Is Illuminated/Jonathan Safran Foer

Best TV Drama...
The Wire

Best Character on The Wire...
Marlo Stanfield

Best TV Comedy...
Arrested Development

B
est Character on Arrested Development...
Franklin

Best TV Reality Series...
Jersey Shore

Best Cameo on Entourage...
Matt Damon

Favorite Sports Moments...
1. Tiger's chip-in at 2005 Masters
2. Vince Carter's dunk on Frederic Weis (G.O.A.T.)
3. Tiger winning the 2008 US Open on a broken leg and torn ACL

Least Favorite Sports Moments...
1. John Terry's Missed Penalty in 2008 Champions League Final
2. Andres Iniesta's Injury-Time Goal in 2009 Champions League Semi-Final
3. The New York Mets (continuous)

5 comments:

Patrick said...

Marlo Stanfield? Really? He would rank much lower for me (if I made such a list). I've always loved Stringer Bell and Bunny Colvin.

Other than that, great list. Thanks.

MSL said...

Marlo, for sure. Though there are numerous candidates (Stringer and Colvin for sure... maybe Omar, maybe Prez, maybe Lester... maybe even D'Angelo).

I would explain why Marlo's my favorite character, but it would give away way too much plot for anyone who hasn't seen all five seasons.

I'll do it over a drink if you're ever in NYC.

pops said...

Explosions in the Sky - nice. They came close to making the cut. Though my prediction for your state of mind in the last ten years, based on this, Radiohead, and Sigur Ros, is that you should probably get out and get some fresh air. ZANG!

Is it wrong that I can't remember who Franklin is on AD?

Alex Headrick said...

Just had to say that I love that Franklin got a shout.

Paul G. Jackson said...

The Grey Album number two -- love it. How lucky are we to be alive in the era of Jay-Z. Similarly I loved Rolling Stone's feature from August of the great "icons" of the decade -- Kanye, MIA, Jack White, Beyonce, Radiohead -- what's not to love in that lineup?