Sunday, January 24, 2010

Mike D's Best of the Decade

Sorry this is so late. Here are the albums I enjoyed most in 2009:

Lady Gaga - The Fame Monster
Mason Jennings - Blood of Man
The Avett Brothers - I and Love and You
Tegan & Sara - Sainthood
Metric - Fantasies
Passion Pit - Manners
Regina Spektor - Far
Micachu and the Shapes - Jewellery
Arctic Monkeys: Humbug
The Swell Season - Strict Joy

I also started listening to the Tiny Desk Concert series from NPR's
"All Songs Considered," and quite a few of those are worth a listen.

Best of the decade:

The Magnetic Fields - Distortion (2007)
Regina Spektor - Begin to Hope (2006)
Glen Hansard & Marketa Irglova - The Swell Season (2006)
Arctic Monkeys - Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not (2006)
The Hold Steady - Almost Killed Me (2004)
Stellastarr - Stellastarr (2003)
The Shins - Chutes Too Narrow (2003)
Outkast - Speakerboxx/The Love Below (2003)
Andrew Bird - Weather Systems (2003)
Tegan And Sara - If It Was You (2002)
The Postal Service - Give Up (2002)
Cory Branan - The Hell You Say (2002)
Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot (2002)
The White Stripes - White Blood Cells (2001)
The Royal Tenenbaums Soundtrack (2001)
The Strokes - Is This It? (2000)

1 comment:

TMDavin said...

Looking over other people's lists, I see that most people had some Radiohead on there. I loved "Kid A" and "Amnesiac," but I guess I associate those albums (and Radiohead) more with the music I listened to in the 90s (couldn't ever really get into their other two releases from the 00s). I suppose that's why they slipped my mind.

I also left off an album from 2001 that was one of my favorites of the decade. Although it wasn't an album that changed the course of music, I really loved "Gravelled and Green" by the Actual Tigers. Fun and melodic in a "Me and Julio Down By the Schoolyard" kind of way.