Thursday, January 3, 2008

Matt.07

Hi Folks,

My name is Matt Levine. I live in New York City and my roots in this annual exercise are deep. That said, in 2007, I found myself in a, perhaps, Cichra-like boat. I did not buy much new music; I have no illegal download programs on my computers; I'm not sure that physical record stores remain in existence in this late age; I don't and refuse to succumb to iTunes... although I did buy an iPhone.

In a lot of ways, my iPhone belongs on any list I create this year. I strongly recommend buying one if you're sick of Verizon or just feel the urge. What's curious is that I immediately had a sense of buyer's remorse, probably due to the price-tag. It took time for me to appreciate the convenience and value of a do-it-all multimedia device... and it's both convenient and valuable.

(MUSIC)

So, back to music, yeah. The lists so far are all nice lists... and some brought to mind bits of 2007 I enjoyed. Namely, Itty reminded me how much I liked the Good, the Bad & the Queen... and Mark's analysis of the particular strengths and weaknesses of the Bloc Party album was spot-on.

But, really, there was only IN RAINBOWS.

For me (and presumably others on this list), IN RAINBOWS comes with a whirlwind of baggage and subtext. Some of it stems from the oh-so-ballyhooed release method the band employed: the name-your-own-price download and the pay-through-the-nose-because-you-need-it box set. Some. More because I like reading reviews about Radiohead albums... and completely overblown articles about how they changed the music industry. Ironically, they've left a major imprint on modern music in different ways over the years... and their quirky release system is NOT one of those ways. It will change little, but it did leave me full on anticipation when I went to sleep on October 9... and that I liked. I cant tell you how much I loved listening to webcasts of my favorite band playing Joy Division and Smiths covers.

...and the album is very, very good. It's no OK Computer, no The Bends, no Kid A. But, it is beautiful throughout and thrilling in moments. The second disc doesn't offer as much, but I'm the better for owning it.

All in all, it's hard to look at the pupu platter above and pretend to act like it's apples-to-apples with [ENTER BAND HERE].

Mostly, my consumption isn't about the greatness of IN RAINBOWS. I don't know that I'll get my head around something like that for years. But, its release meant that Radiohead, new and old, was more prominent in my life and in the general consciousness than it regularly is. And that's a good thing.

One final note about music. I heard I AM THE WALRUS on the radio the other day, which I hadn't heard in a long time, for whatever reason. The song's electric resonation was something I haven't felt in a while... probably since I fawned over Wolf Parade and Bloc Party's first albums.

(MOVIES)

While the new album by the quintessential Matt Levine band dominated my year of music-listening, the newest film by the quinessential Matt Levine film-maker was a blip on the radar. After reconsideration, I'm gonna save from commenting on THE DARJEELING LIMITED much until I see it a second time... but suffice to say that when Paul Jackson & I walked out of the theater, we talked more about the ice cream we bought immediately after exiting than the actual movie.

The two really good popular movies I did see were JUNO, note perfect from start to finish, and LARS AND THE REAL GIRL, the first movie that made me sob in... well, I can't remember. Ryan Gosling killed it.

(TELEVISION)

I truly believe that we're lucky to live in the richest era of television ever known. THE AMAZING RACE, THE OFFICE, 30 ROCK, THE HILLS, PROJECT RUNWAY. Frankly, it's the only one of the listed formats which, at the most mainstream level, is getting better by the day (save for a writers strike here or there). Words don't explain how excited I am for Sunday's debut episode of AMERICAN GLADIATORS.

I'm not really finished, but I'll press "SEND" due to Paul's peer-pressuring...
In closing, here's my top 5 list.

(CHEESE)

5. Valdeon (Spain)
4. Constant Bliss (Vermont)
3. Majorero Pimenton (Spain)
2. Tete de Moines (Switzerland)
1. Parmigiano-Reggiano (Italy... still the King)

1 comment:

Paul G. Jackson said...

Yeah, I don't know what to make of new Radiohead to be honest. I love how they still dominate the Paulies, year after year, they're still that important to us. But I don't know, I just can't get behind this record. But I'm also not passionately against it, as I was with HTTT. Tough record to figure out...