Saturday, December 27, 2008

Patrick's List

Hello Paulies 2008.

Thanks Itty and Niki for being the first to go. I’m usually much quicker to post. I was down in Tijuana for a week and then couldn’t get a plane back to Seattle. We’re having a bit of a snow issue up here. I ended up renting a car with four other strangers and driving from San Francisco. 20 hours later with a bad cold and cough, I was back in the northwest for Christmas. I am now ready to post my list.

Overall, I think it was a weaker year in music. Nothing really stood out to me. Albums that were critical favorites (Fleet Foxes, Vampire Weekend, TV on the Radio) weren’t that great to me. It may be more a reflection of where I am in my life, but nothing really grabbed me. That’s not to say there weren’t things I enjoyed. Here are ten albums I liked more than others.

1. Crystal Castles, Crystal Castles
I had the most fun with this album this year, so therefore it’s my number one. This is a continuation of my enjoyment of Simian Mobile Disco from last year.


Untrust Us - Crystal Castles

2. Magnetic Fields, Distortion
This came way back last January. I got into the Jesus and Mary Chain via this record. California Girls is a great song.

3. David Byrne and Brian Eno, Everything That Happens Will Happen Today
I love anything David Byrne touches. Life is Long is one of the best songs he’s written. I’m excited to see him in concert in February.


Life Is Long - David Byrne and Brian Eno


3. TV on the Radio, Dear Science

I think Itty put it well. It didn’t do it for me as the last two, but I still enjoyed it.

5. Cut Copy, In Ghost Colours
This is a solid album all the way through. It’s more rewarding after each listen.

6. Santogold, Santogold
Yes, it’s derivative of MIA and half the songs are used in commercials, but I still enjoyed the album.

8. Hercules and Love Affair, Hercules and Love Affair
I never really like Antony and the Johnson’s, but the songs in which he sings are some of the best. It’s a good album from DFA.


Blind (Full Album Version) - Hercules And Love Affair

8. Sigur Ros, Med Sud I Eyrum Vid Spilum Endalaust
I never really got into Sigur Ros before, but I found this to be a good album. The faster pace works really well.

9. Okkervil River, The Stand Ins

I’ve always like Okkervil River and I finally got to see them this summer at Sasquatch.

10. Girl Talk, Feed the Animals / Flight of the Conchords, Flight of the Conchords
Both are fun in different ways.

Other highlights from 2008.

Best concerts.
Sasquatch. Best value in indi rock: highlight was seeing the Breeders play Cannonball.
Jesus and Mary Chain. Just like Honey was perfect.
Justice. There was no one cooler in 2008 than these two French dudes. I went to the after party.

The Wire.
I got hooked on this show. Anyone who’s seen it loves it. Therefore you should see it too.

The Election.
It was a great night and election. I was somewhere in this crowd.



Soul Music.
I too got into Sam Cooke and others. There’s a great soul dance night in Seattle that’s pretty sweet.

Getting Engaged.
Probably the biggest thing for me this year was getting engaged. Whoop, whoop.

Peace and good luck in 2009.

-Patrick

No comments: