Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Headrick's toppest ten

Hey Paulie People,

Alex here. I humbly submit my top ten albums of 2008 in no particular order. Looking back, I realized I regularly listened to exactly 10 albums released last year, which made my selection process easy. Here's what I listened to and why.

Portishead – Third

This one's been talked about plenty, and I honestly haven't listened to it enough to say much more than that I enjoy it. I don't love it, but I suspect it'll grow on me. My first impression was that I wanted it to be more like Dummy, which isn't fair. My favorite track for now is Small. I'm a sucker for that waltzy pulsing organ.

Hot Chip – Made in the Dark

This one gets better as it goes along. I'm somewhat new to Hot Chip, only having heard of them immediately before seeing them at Coachella '07. Their desert performance sold me, and I quickly picked up their studio work. When Made in the Dark came out, I bought it immediately and was pleased, but not thrilled. Many months later, Made in the Dark has remained among my favorite albums and I'm continually surprised by the album's depth. After enough listens, it surpassed their older work as my favorite Hot Chip album.

The Mighty Underdogs – Droppin' Science Fiction

I was a little surprised to see GZA and Q-Tip on so many top tens this year. I'm perfectly content putting on Liquid Swords or The Low End Theory when I need my fix from them, although I still want to give the new ones a listen to see what I'm missing. I felt let down by hip-hop this year a bit; the only release I really dug was this predictably hot offering from the cream of the Quannum MCs crew (Lateef the Truth Speaker and the Gift of Gab) on a Def Jux release. The album lags at times due to proficient but somewhat dull beats from producer Headnodic, whom I wasn't familiar with before. But the quality of the MCs and their guests (Lyrics Born, Casual, The Perceptionists) carry the album far enough. If you're a Quannum or a Dex Jux fan, this will do the trick. You won't abandon Nia or I Phantom for it, but it'll do until someone brings the new hotness.

Guns N' Roses – Chinese Democracy

Chinese Democracy wins a spot by exceeding low expectations. I fully was convinced the album would be a mess. The leaked demos were garbage and Axl's 2001 reunion Brazil performance with Buckethead was unconvincing. Being that Guns N' Roses formed my early Triumvirate of Rock (along with Aerosmith and Nirvana), I had high hopes for this for a while, which eventually faded into low ones. So when I listened to Chinese Democracy, I was pleasantly surprised to hear neither nu metal pandering nor Use Your Illusion rip-offs. Chinese Democracy really is a unique album living up to the GN'R tradition and I'm stunned. I'd already been burned by The Spaghetti Incident, so this was an amazing turnaround in my eyes. There Was a Time is epic and Shackler's Revenge is sticking around in my head like Slipknot never will. Most importantly, Chinese Democracy kicks the ass of every Velvet Revolver album combined. Thanks for making me care about GN'R again, guys.

Girl Talk – Feed the Animals

This was my musical crack in 2008 along with The Bird and the Bee. I had to cut myself off from this album because I was listening to it nonstop and neglecting other worthy artists for it. I vaguely despise mashups as a genre, but this collection is impossible to hate and after a listen and a half, impossible not to love. I can't help but enjoy an album that references Ahmad and Aphex Twin in one song, then Radiohead and Ace of Base in the next. It's only dislikable in theory. If you don't love this album, I suspect you hate music.

Meshuggah - Obzen

This is the only pure metal on my list, and if you're not a metal head, odds are you won't like this one. But dammit, it rocks so hard, and I haven't found much this year that makes me as crazy in a good way as this album. For the uninitiated and casual fans, all you need to check out is Bleed off of Obzen. If listened to correctly, it will make you bang your head.*

*If you are a drummer, you should also wear Depends.**
**That is not a reference to the disgusting album art, but rather the intensity of the track's double bass.

M83 – Saturdays = Youth

This is the latest addition to my "I'm going to bed in 40 to 60 minutes and I need something chill to see me to the end of the night" catalog. It's a popular top ten '08 choice good reason. There's almost nothing offensive on this album; it's unlikely anyone will complain if you put this on in most circumstances. Mega bonus points to the group for the insertion of the awkwardly delightful triplet fills in Kim and Jesse — you've made at least one, probably many, drummers happy with that touch, M83. Thanks to Midnight Souls Still Remain, I can give Brian Eno's Music for Airports a break for a while.

The Sword – Gods of the Earth

I find charges of Hipster Metal offensive and will defend to the death The Sword's right to rock without derision. My only gripe with Gods of the Earth is that it doesn't rock as hard as Age of Winters. After many listens, I've decided it rocks plenty hard, and I'm well pleased. When I want brainless, mostly lyric-free rock that's chock full o' riffs, this is an excellent choice.

Black Mountain – In the Future

Canadian psychedelic grooves with just enough Sabbath to keep me interested. I'm still figuring these guys out. I liked their self-titled LP better, but may need to give this one more time. It recalls a lot of late 60s/early 70s trippiness, but in a more intelligent way than a lot of straightforward classic rock revival bands. Listening to this, you might catch a bit of Pink Floyd here and there; listening to Wolfmother, you'll think "this is a Deep Purple song." If you haven't heard Black Mountain, I'd recommend starting with their first LP, especially the track Druganaut.

Flight of the Conchords – Flight of the Conchords

Because Okkervil River makes me want to take a nap.

1 comment:

Paul G. Jackson said...

Alex- I think no one has Chinese Democracy on their top 10, because I don't think anyone else has heard it. Maybe I'm wrong, but with the Best Buy only distribution, this record hasn't been easy to hear day-to-day. I mean, maybe it's brilliant, but I feel like I'll never know.