Friday, December 18, 2009

The 2000s, The Full Circle of Indie

Someone smarter than I should write an interesting piece on the full circle of indie rock this decade -- its birth from the alternative/college rock scene of the 1980s and 1990s, fully establishing itself as a complete genre of music by mid-decade, and its preposterous end by 2009.

Is it really over? Probably not, but a case could be made that it's now devolved into one big fashion statement... Thank you Vogue magazine for shining a light! -PGJ

1 comment:

Alex Headrick said...

While I'm far from the right person to post about it, this is an interesting trend. I've run into it with my over the top mp3 filing system. The Flaming Lips are in my "Rock/Pop" folder, while Animal Collective find themselves in "Post-Rock/Indie." Is that right? I don't know. The standards are all thrown off. None of it makes sense anymore. It's too late to make new folders. WHERE DO I FILE MY MP3S NOW?