Tuesday, December 22, 2009

The Paulies: More Best Of Lists, 09

Hi all, A few more "best of" lists for you to peruse this week --
first, from New York magazine:

New York Mag top ten
Top Five:
5. Gucci Mane
4. Drake
3. Taylor Swift
2. Lady Gaga
1. Black Eyed Peas

Pitchfork's top 50 of 2009
Top Five:
5. Raekwon, "Only Built for Cuban Linx... Pt. II"
4. The Flaming Lips, "Embryonic"
3. The xx, "The xx"
2. Dirty Projectors, "Bitte Orca"
1. Animal Collective, "Merriweather Post Pavilion"

NPR's All Songs Considered's Top 25
Top Five:
5. Andrew Bird, "Noble Beast"
4. Neko Case, "Middle Cyclone"
3. Phoenix, "
Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix"
2. Animal Collective, "
Merriweather Post Pavillion"
1. Grizzly Bear, "
Veckatimest"

Et al.:
Artforum's weird-o lists
Time Out New York staff lists

2 comments:

Alex Headrick said...

Besides NPR here, I'm intrigued by the lack of Grizzly Bear on these and the early Paulies bloggers' lists. I assumed I was the only one that wasn't feeling them after what felt like so much hype this year. I figured they would dominate the lists with Animal Collective. Their relative absence is an encouraging sign that I'm not crazy.

Kate Miles said...

Before going to this year's Treasure Island festival, I hadn't paid much attention to Grizzly Bear, though I had taken notice of neat songs of theirs that popped up on compilations and Bob Boilen tended to play them at their best on All Songs. But that all changed after Treasure Island; when I add my list this week, I'll include the video of the performance that turned me into a full fledged Grizzly Bear fan. But I still don't know what to make of the album as a whole. I'll have to listen to it start-to-finish again before I decide whether or not they're 'best of '09' - but I definitely, *definitely* recommend seeing them live.