Monday, December 24, 2007

Patrick's List

Hello, My name is Patrick. I was once a roommate of Paul's in college. I’m currently living in Seattle, but spent half of this year finishing up grad school at Iowa. I do a top ten music list, because that’s what I know. I thought 2007 was a decent year in music, but nothing really blew my mind.

My List

1. Of Montreal: Hissing Fauna, Are You The Destroyer?
Someone has to be number 1. I really liked this album all around. I’m generally a fan of albums that have a concept behind it and cohesive whole. Plus, some of the song are really fucking good. It captures a depressed state of post relationship confusion very well. It was good at first listen and is still satisfying to my ears now. If you haven’t given this album much of a listen, you owe it to yourself.

2. Panda Bear: Person Pitch
Pitchfork’s number 1, my number 2. This is such a rewarding listen. There are so many moments of sonic goodness packaged in there. It’s also my favorite cover art.

3. LCD Soundsystem: Sound of Silver
I love anything LCD Soundsystem does. I would say this album has grown on me since first listen. I saw them again in concern this year. They’re an awesome live band, because they make the songs sound bigger and better. I enjoy the humor that’s in the music.

4. Miracle Fortress: Five Roses
I picked up this album bases solely on a description written at the local record shop. It turned out to be a worthwhile purchase. They’re from Canada and may fall somewhere between BSS and Stars, although they’re not on Arts and Crafts.

5. Caribou: Andorra
It’s easy to like this record from the first listen. I find myself appreciating softer sounds found on this album. It’s rainy day music at its best.

6. Justice: Cross
I fucking love this album because it has a way of getting me pumped. Maybe it’s a way to balance out some of my slower selections. In the vein of Daft Punk, but with a little more edge. My favorite part is 37 seconds into the album when it goes from build up to a killer beat. D.A.N.C.E. could probably become overplayed (and is nearing that for me), but it’s still one of the best singles of the year.

7. Simian Mobile Disco: Attack, Decay, Sustain, Release
For the same reasons I love Justice, I love Simian Mobile Disco. I think this album is more fun. Plus the video for Hustler is hot.

8. Spoon: Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga
I think I’m finally beginning to understand why people like Spoon so much. Rock and roll like it should be. Solid album.

9. The National: Boxer
This is the best choice when you find yourself needing to pick out an pleasant album to play that will satisfy a large group of people. It was my go to choice this year. It wasn’t bad either.

10. Arcade Fire: Neon Bible
Oh yes, barely making it on the top ten, but they’re here. Definitely the most anticipated album for me this year. I think it was great, but its biggest weakness was it wasn’t the funeral. I loved that they channeled the Boss in their sound. I saw them in concert again (with LCD Soundsystem) and they’ve turned into quite the big band. They made everything bigger and more epic. But once again, it wasn’t Funeral.

Miscellany

Obligatory, let’s mention In Rainbows. Yeah, it’s alright.

“Oh yeah, they put out albums this year” Modest Mouse, Interpol, White Stripes, Wilco, Bright Eyes, Jay Z, The Shins, Bloc Party, Bjork. Not that any one of these was particularly bad (ok, Bjork was disappointing), but as far as familiar names in the top ten, these seemed pretty forgettable this year.

Best Concert of the year. Daft Punk. One of the best shows I’ve ever seen and one that is hard to forget. Like nothing else. If you saw them you know what I’m talking about.

Worst concert of the year. Animal Collective. I really like AC. I loved Feels and their album this year isn’t bad, but I just couldn’t get into this show. I’m generally pretty accepting, but they made the audience really work to enjoy it. There would be a few moments where I got into it and then the band followed with a 20 minute droning free form sounds. It was a challenge, and a challenge I’ll admit I failed. I’d be curious if anyone else has seen them and what your experience was like.

Best Movies. At this time of the year, every year I feel like I didn’t watch enough films. I recently saw Juno and No Country for Old Men. Those were both good. Superbad was exactly what I wanted it to be.

Alrighty, that's my list (for now). Merry Christmas.

5 comments:

Paul G. Jackson said...

Am I 26 or 46? Who are these bands??? Miracle Fortress? Justice? Simian Mobile Disco? Am I living on Mars? Also, Of Montreal - did you see them on the Hissing Fauna tour? Clearly one of the best touring shows of 2007, right? Wowza.

Patrick said...

There was once a time when you were much more aware of music than I. I blame the OV. I saw Of Montreal last year, but not on their latest tour.

For anyone who cares, I went ahead and uploaded my 1-8 picks in one big file. Enjoy

Itty said...

That Hustler video is hot. Not a lie.

Paul, you should be reading Brooklyn Vegan more.

Paul G. Jackson said...

Don't do Brooklyn Vegan or Pitchfork. Neither captures my imagination (without getting into the writing). To that end, I just compiled a fascinating list (to be posted on the Vernacular) of the consensus best albums of 2007 from the Associated Press all the way down the scale to Pitchfork. Provides solid evidence that lots of media outlets these days are covering the music we enjoy, not just a couple websites with limited vision.

Patrick said...

I just saw the AP top ten list in the NYT. What struck me as odd was there wasn't an author given, but simply "by the associated press." I later saw the same list with a name attached.
Another good outlet is NPR with All Songs Considered. I highly recommend the podcasts.