Sunday, January 11, 2009

Rudyz

Hi there.

Sadly, I didn't discover much this year. I'm either lazy, out of touch, or dont know where to find fresh, quality music. All three, maybe? Sometimes I feel like I'm better off not knowing what the kids are listening to, but then my iTunes get stale and I need something new. Muxtape.com was an amazing innovation in 2008. I found a lot of great music through Muxtape and rediscovered songs I hadn't heard in years. And then it was closed by the RIAA. But luckily, the Paulies still exist, and I've discovered a lot of new (for me) music from reading your lists. So thanks everyone, and thanks to Paul.

The 3 albums I discovered this year are:

1. Santogold - Santogold.  In a moment of desperation, I asked a musically-inclined friend for new music recommendations. He led me to Santogold and I am indebted to him. It's really original and I'm really impressed by her range.

2. Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago. I don't know how I found this. Makes me sleepy, but very well-made and hasn't gotten old yet.

3. Bullion - Pet Sounds: In the Key of Dee. My brother emailed this to me. I'm not usually a fan of remixes, but this version of Pet Sounds is really good. It's been on my iPod shuffle for months. 

My not-made-in-2008-but-still-good-in-2008 list would included Philip Glass, Edith Piaf, Juana Molina, Akron Family, Rufus Wainright, and the Darjeeling Limited soundtrack.

Which brings me to my 3 favorite movies of 2008:

1. Vicky Christina Barcelona. After the last 5-plus years of mediocre Woody Allen films, I had very low expectations going in. But I was blown away. Not just good for late-Woody Allen, just a really good film. And a good soundtrack.

2. Reprise. This is a Norwegian film about two young aspiring writers. It may have been made pre-2008, but I'm pretty sure it didn't play theatres in US until 2008. Netflix it.

3. Revolutionary Road. I have a bit of a man crush on Sam Mendes. He's got a style. You either like it or you don't. I happen to like it.

Other mentions: Slumdog Millionaire (minus the hokey parts), Dark Knight (in IMAX), Synecdoche NY (not very successful, but I appreciate the attempt). I'm excited to see The Wrestler and Milk in the coming weeks.

Go AZ Cardinals!

Bye.  Rudy A.

1 comment:

Paul G. Jackson said...

Hokey parts?! Nothin hokey in Slumdog, that movie was freaking great. But agreed, VCB up there for movie of the year.